California Firearms Info

The following information should not be construed as legal advice and is for general reference only. You should check with the responsible agencies for the most up to date information regarding laws, regulations and requirements for a specific topic.



Basic Overview Of the Purchase Process:

1. Contact us to review/approve your transfer. Verify that the firearm is CA legal. If the firearm is being sold and/or shipped by a dealer, you must also verify that they are aware of the CFLC requirements.

2. E-mail us the information we request. We will contact the seller to arrange shippment of the firearm.

3. Once we recieve the firearm, we will contact you to arrange a day/time to begin your transfer paperwork. You must bring all required documents, photo copies and FULL payment to your appointment.

4. Complete all required paperwork and pay all fees/taxes. The mandatory 10-day wait starts at this point.

5. After the 10-day wait, contact us to arrange a pick-up day/time.


Purchase Requirements:

*Handguns, receivers, including stripped off List lowers (OLL), frames & pistol grip shotguns (PGS): Buyer must be 21 years or older.

*Rifles & shotguns  (other than receivers, OLLs, frames & pistol grip shotguns (PGS): Buyer must be 18 years or older.

*No felony or certain misdemeanor convictions - Detailed Info

*You must be a California resident with a valid California ID or driver's license. If your driver's license or California ID does not have your current correct home address, Federal law requires that you provide a Government issued document with both your name and current correct home address on it. If you do not provide a Government issued document, the firearm cannot be delivered to you.

Examples of acceptable Government issued documents:

* DVM vehicle registration (Must be current).

* A utility bill from a city operated utility such as: the City of Los Angeles Department of Power & Water (So. Cal. Edison is NOT a government agency and thus does not qualify).

Non-Resident Military personnel permanently stationed in CA can use a valid active duty Military ID card AND PCS orders to a California duty station.

*You will need to possess a handgun safety certificate (HSC) or an HSC exemption. (for Handguns).

*You will need secondary proof of residency. (for Handguns).

Examples of acceptable proof of residency:

*DMV vehicle registration (Must be current).

*Electricity, gas, water, landline phone service or cable / sat T.V. bill with purchaser's name & current home address from within the last 3 months

Examples of documents that are not acceptable proof of residency:

*Hunting or fishing license, (these documents are not issued by the government).

*Cellular phone bill, car / home insurance or credit card statements are NOT acceptable.

Make Sure the Handgun you Want to Purchase is California Approved Before Making a Purchase:

Handguns MUST be on the California Department of Justice
Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale


Shipping Firearms:

We do not ship firearms as a regular course of business. You, as an unlicensed person (not a dealer), can legally ship firearms to a Federally licensed dealer in any state with certain restrictions.

First locate a FFL (dealer) that is willing to accept a firearm from a private person. (Dealers are not required by law to accept firearms from a private person). Most dealers will not give a private person a copy of their FFL; but they are required to provide the numeric portions of their FFL needed to verify the dealers FFL status with ATF.

Click here for the ATF FFL EzCheck website.


Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A (California Resident) nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee (FFL) in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A (California Resident) nonlicensee may ship a firearm (handgun or long gun NO assualt weapons) by a common or contract carrier (UPS or FedEx - Must be dropped off at a HUB Location NOT a "Store" location such as "The UPs Store" or "FedEx Kinko's") to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee (FFL) in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]


Bullet Button Firearms - Modern Sporting Rifles

Suchar Enterprises will only transfer modern sporting rifles that are equipped with a bullet button AND 10rd. or less, magazine installed IN the firearm PRIOR to the firearm being shipped into California. See our "Terms and Conditions" for additional information.


How to Transport Your Firearms:

These are "our" suggestions to keep you out of trouble.

Handguns, Long Guns & CA Registered "Assult Weapons"

*In a locked case, Action open. No magazines or Ammunition in the same case as the firearm.

*Magazines unloaded and stored separately from the firearm and ammunition.

*Ammunition in it's own separate container.

On a side note: Most ranges don't llike / allow shooters to walk in with loaded magazines regardless of how they are brought onto the range.

Prov. 27:17

As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.